Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Snowy Activities Where You Might Maybe Die - Part 2

You were laughing as you imagined me flying down that hill, weren't you? Weren't you?? That's okay, I was laughing pretty hard when I wrote it, and, truth be told, once I was settled at the lodge with a warm beverage after "the event," I laughed pretty hard even then. I may have ended with another spectacular crash, but for a brief moment, I was going so fast, I swear those skis might have gone slightly airborne. If you have no idea about this hilarity of which I speak, go back and read part 1 of this post, laugh a little and then come back.
So, where were we? Oh yes, the reason I told you that story in the first place. Well, let's suffice it to say that while I was warming up in the lodge after that fourth (and final) time I went downhill skiing, I decided I better get cracking on the old, "What in the world will Brandi do while Dave goes skiing, because we live so close to skiing, so I better figure out something" plan. I'm happy to report that over the past 5 years since then, I have come up with several wonderful options that I want to share with you. If you find yourself in my shoes, or if you visit during the Winter, you need to know what's what on the old winter activity plan. So, here we go. This is your list of "Snowy Activities Where It's Much Harder to Might Maybe Die."


Snowshoeing

Okay, this one is a favorite. After learning how much I love hiking (which I'll be sure to cover in a future post), I knew that I could certainly give the old hiking in Winter plan a try.


Turns out, it works well for me. I got myself a pair of shoes from Amazon and added snow baskets to my hiking poles, and just like that, I was ready to give it a try. Okay, I guess I should add that I also had to figure out how much to layer clothing-wise. But, that part was easy. I can enjoy playing in the powdery snow, get a workout, look at the beautiful views, and unless I am with my pals and we want to add a little spice to our adventures, I can pretty much stay up on my two feet. I did have a few interesting early trips where my shoe wasn't exactly attached all the way and flew off during an uphill climb, but I learned quickly. And, just a couple of weekends ago, my girls and I decided to go off-trail and slide down a hill to a ravine on our hineys, but that was intentional my friends... there's a difference. I've gotten to snowshoe 5 minutes from my house in the foothills after a nice snowfall, and I've tried out the trails at Bogus, Tamarack and several places up in McCall. There was even a time where some girlfriends who were visiting and I ran into Sled Dogs on a training walk, and that was pretty much amazing. Sometimes the hubby skis, and I shoe, and then we meet up for lunch. Sometimes we shoe together. It's always a good time. Just yesterday, we were shoeing during a quick weekend getaway, while snow fell on us during our trek through a forest, and it was pretty darned magical. 


The views while shoeing up at Bear Basin in McCall
The views while shoeing up at Bear Basin in McCall

Yea! I'm not falling.
Get your shoe on close to home
Get your shoe on close to home.

Cross-Country Skiing

Dare I say that I was willing to put on skis again after that fourth and final time? Yes, yes I was. BUT, they were a different kind of ski. After figuring out that I could shoe in the Winter while the hubs did the thing that I wasn't going to do, I decided why not try this sort of kind of cross between the type of skiing he loves where he's going super fast, and the type of skiing I might love where I have to go kind of slow and make it a hard workout? I have only done the "classic" style of cross-country skiing. This is the kind where you see someone glide one foot in front of the other in the "tracks" that are groomed into the trails. I took a lesson up at Bogus Basin and have tried it there, at Ponderosa State Park in McCall and at Bear Basin. I am always very jealous of the folks I see effortlessly glide by on the "skate" skis, but I haven't gone there quite yet. I do love that you can go farther, explore more terrain and still enjoy the views while you're at it. You might fall, but usually you're huffing it and going on your own horsepower. 

The tracks help me feel more secure
The tracks help me feel more secure.

Look! Still not falling.

Tubing



Okay, okay, I get it. I have shared two tips for "Snowy Activities Where It's Much Harder to Might Maybe Die," but where's the thrill? I found a way to get that one added back into the mix with Winter tubing! Speed? Check! Thrills with your friends? Check! Going super fast without having to try? Check! And, if you really try hard enough, you can make it kind of dangerous too, so take that adrenaline junkies! Tubing is the most fun with a group of friends. It's even more fun when you each lock together with four tubes when you apparently aren't supposed to and have enough weight to pick up some real speed and then, when your husband and one friend decides to save themselves and "unlock" from the group, you and the other friend nearly fly into a frozen river at the end. But, we don't have to talk about that. Tubing is fun, it's easy, and you don't have to work that hard, save riding back up the little conveyor belt to the top with your tube to do it all over again. We've had the most fun at The Activity Barn in McCall, but we've also done tubing at Eagle Island State Park right here in town and up at Bogus Basin. 


The tubing runs at The Activity Barn
The tubing runs at The Activity Barn

Getting Spa Treatments at The Shore Lodge

So, although there's no plan for a fifth try at downhill skiing, let me say that I've figured out ways to keep myself busy and have a blast in the snow. And, best of all, when you're finished with all that great activity and laughing and enjoying Idaho's gorgeous winters, it's time to chill and soak those sore muscles at the very best "Snowy Activities Where It's Much Harder to Might Maybe Die" place, The Cove Spa!


The Mother Ship
The Mother Ship

See you next week when we switch gears and talk about the theme for February we all know and love, the Hallmark Holiday. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment